Citizens of 40 countries traveling to Vietnam now have a simplified process for obtaining travel visas directly from the Vietnam government. Vietnam recently introduced an e-Visa (electronic visa) application system for citizens of 40 countries. Vietnam e-Visas will allow citizens of these 40 countries to visit Vietnam for up to 30 days.
Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Belarus, Bruney, Chile, China, Colombia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark, Spain, Finland, France, United Kingdom of Great Britain, Northern Ireland, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Korea (South), Luxembourg, Myanmar, Mongolia, Norway, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden, Timor Leste, Uruguay, United States of America, Venezuela.
This new two-year, e-Visa pilot program will be in addition to the current Vietnam travel visa processes in place. Holders of the new Vietnam e-Visas will be allowed to arrive into Vietnam through any of the eight international airports including Hanoi City, Ho Chi Minh City, Da Nang City, Nha Trang City, Hai Phong City and Phu Quoc Island or through any of the 13 international land border crossings.
Vietnam e-Visas will cost you a flat fee of $25 USD for a 30-day, SINGLE-ENTRY visa. Your 30 days will start when you arrive into Vietnam, not when your e-Visa is approved. This visa will only be valid for a single entry into Vietnam for up to 30 days, meaning you can’t fly into Vietnam, stay for a few days, travel to Cambodia and then return to Vietnam for your flight back to the United States. You can only enter Vietnam once. If you need a multiple-entry visa or want to stay in Vietnam for longer than 30 days, you can apply via Visa Vietnam website.
Vietnam e-Visa application process
You will need a scanned copy of your valid passport details page and a scanned passport photo. According to the website instructions, the passport photo must be “straight looking and without glasses.”
Starting February 1, 2017, citizens of 40 countries can apply online for a Vietnam e-Visa through the National Immigration Portal:
1. Click on “For Foreigners.”
2. Upload your passport photo and a copy of your passport details page. These are two separate uploads. You can’t upload your passport details page twice.
3. Enter in all the required information.
4. Pay your $25 USD fee and submit your application. Your fee is non-refundable even if your application is later denied.
5. Once you have submitted your application, you will receive a “registration code.” Keep this code.
6. At the time of this posting, the e-Visa turnaround time is approximately 3 business days. After the processing time, return back to the website and click on “Search” in the top menu bar.
7. Enter in your registration code to search for your application to see if it was approved.
8. If approved, you can print out your Vietnam e-Visa as proof for travel.
Overall, this is a win-win for citizens of 40 countries. Travelers and it’s a step in the right direction.